Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another world

Goal: to update this blog at least once every week.

I hate that I've become, in recent years, the girl who loves to write, but loves to procrastinate more. When did I become so sluggish? Indeed, in order to improve at something, you must take pains to perfect whatever it is you do. I must write more; if not to experience life in a more full way, at least to write a breathtaking novel and make millions of dollars (not). I love writing too much to simply abandon it like a feeble puppy on the sidewalk gasping for sweet, sweet air. I must, therefore, revive it and cuddle it and stroke its golden locks and name it Sweetiekins once again.

I started class at Pace last night, and while it indeed seems like it will be an excruciatingly boring class, I am glad to be back amongst brilliant people once again. For any of you Pace English Teaching Fellows reading this, I love you and truly admire the work you do. While I am no longer technically one of you anymore (as I was reminded by the brassy-voiced woman from the New York Fellows office who called a couple weeks ago to chirp about how they were no longer financially responsible for me like a mother on opium), I still feel your kinship. You guys are some of the greatest and bravest vehicles for change in the world.

Now that I've had more time to explore what makes me happy, I've been reading a lot more often. I'm deeply into Kurt Vonnegut lately, and for any of you who has never read anything by him before, I strongly urge you to check him out of the library asap. I'm currently engrossed in his early novel "The Sirens of Titan," and while I'm not yet finished, I must declare that it's one of the best books I've ever read. While the plot is so artfully imaginative and out of this world, the characters are so human and real and true. My goodness, everyone should read it! Now!

More to come when I am finished...

No comments:

Post a Comment